othbot blog

sketches, daily speed paintings and sketchbook snipets

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Barnboy feed the animals



started this one at 9. really happy with how it came out. trying to push myself to get my drawing out of the sketchbook and paint more of them.

i wanted to do this one last night but i fell asleep because i had a headache- but im glad i woke up early this morning.

back lighting is always hard for me- when i don't put the character in total dark face- afraid the face looked to flat- but didnt want to draw too much attention- since its more on the animals ;-)

not really sure does this look like morning or afternoon?

here is a sketch which i scribbled on the train- i know its so vague- but for somereason i see all of it- mostly working on composition because i just need to pick stuff with better composition. should have added a cool fill- but i was lame and didn't because i didn't want to think that hard. so the range is unbalanced

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizbeth Quispe said...

It's a very pretty piece, Oth. I really do like the lighting in it alot. Honestly, I think the lighting feels more towards the end of the day, like sunset than sunrise. It might help having some cooler shadows and probably toning down how bright yellow those edges of the wood are. I feel silly though giving a critique of lighting to you though, but those are just my thoughts. Anyway, I look foward to seeing more pretty pictures in your blog. Hope things are going well with you.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Matt Swartz said...

This is so nice Oth! I agree with Lisbeth it feels more like end of day (but I like that because it's like barnboy forgot to feed the animals all day, and now he is trying to be friends at the end of the day) I think your composition and color are really strong and the mood feels nice and warm and barn-like. And i can kinda see what Lisbeth is talking about. I think the shadow on barnboy and the animals are good, but if you wanted to cool down parts, i would do it to the objects in the foreground. Cool them down, but don't make them darker, the value through-out the piece is good.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home